This article was previously published on June 25, 2019 and updated for comprehensiveness and accuracy.
For many, homeownership brings comfort and stability. However, one of the biggest home security fears we all share is a burglar breaking in. Fortunately, there are ways to keep yourself and your family safe. To help lower the risk of a home break-in, we put together a burglary prevention safety checklist you can follow:
How to Protect Your Home from Break-Ins
Most burglars want a quick and easy target, so a few security measures can go a long way. Protecting your home from intruders doesn’t have to break the bank. There are simple, yet effective, solutions that you can do right now to increase your home’s protection and prevent burglars from targeting it. These include:
- Secure All Sliding Doors and Windows: Before bed or leaving home for the day, make sure all your windows and doors are properly fastened and secured. You can add extra protection by placing a sturdy rod or dowel in the track to make forced entry more difficult.
- Limit Spare Keys: Most burglars are smart enough to find that spare key you hid under the doormat. Choose less traditional hiding places. You can also consider giving a pair to your neighbor or investing in an outdoor key hider. Even better, remove keys altogether by investing in smart locks.
- Keep Curtains and Blinds Closed: Be cautious about positioning valuable items near doors and windows. If they can see it, that means it’s easier to steal.
- Keep the Garage Door Closed: If you own a garage, the same principle applies as the point above. You can want to keep it closed as often as possible so people can’t see any valuables inside or figure out an easier way to infiltrate your home.
- Create the Illusion that Someone Is Home: Most burglars are smart enough to know when you’re not home during the day or on vacation. However, you can create the illusion that someone is home by adding interior/exterior smart lights that operate on timers.
- Integrate a Monitored Smart Home Security System: A smart home security system is your first line of defense against burglaries. It can help minimize break-in loses by alerting you and the monitoring center of any unauthorized access of your home.
Why Partner with ADS Security
Assessing the level of security in your home is critical no matter how long you’ve been there. While there may not be a guaranteed way to prevent a break-in, taking precautionary steps to protect your home is sure to lower your risk.
ADS Security will work with you to determine what security solutions you need the most, the best areas to put them around your home, and without going over budget. We handle the installation and show you how everything works when we’re done. And if any problems ever arise with the equipment or monitoring, you can call us immediately and we’ll send a technician.
If you would like to learn more about what ADS Security can do for you, feel free to contact us today.
Categories: Safety, Safety Tips, Security