The holiday season is the busiest time of year for expensive gift purchases and no one knows this better than prowling thieves. Home burglaries, car theft and shoplifting all see increases during this busy time of year. In fact, ADS Security reports seeing a 24% average increase in resident burglaries in the months of November and December every year. So, take some time to implement extra security measures and familiarize yourself with these important tips to help you stay safe during the season of giving.
- Always be aware of people around you while shopping and never leave your purse or wallet unattended.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash for your gift purchases. Using a credit card or check is a much safer option.
- Keep any valuable items stored in your car out of sight. Exposed valuables are reason enough to attempt a break-in.
- Never program the “HOME” button on your GPS with your home address. If your car is broken into while you are shopping, this could lead the perpetrator to your front door.
- Don’t store holiday gifts in your garage. Attached garages are one of the easiest targets and favorite access points for thieves to gain entry.
- Never leave your car unlocked or running unattended, and equip your car with an anti-theft device to deter thieves.
- Place leftover boxes and bags from gift giving inside a trash bag while waiting for pick-up. Trash left over from gift-giving can be telling of expensive items inside your home.