Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips
7 March 2016

Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill within minutes, and is produced by improperly vented heating systems, obstructed chimneys and even warming your car in an attached garage. Most people do not realize they are suffering from CO poisoning until it is too late.

Protect yourself and your family from the dangers of CO with these important safety tips:

  • Have your complete heating system checked by a professional every Fall and make sure they also check furnace flues, chimneys and vents for blockages, corrosion or bad connections.
  • Never warm your home with open flames, ovens, clothes dryers or other heat sources not intended to be used as a heating source.
  • Never leave a car running or use a portable generator or other gasoline engine-powered tool inside or near your home, including a garage or adjacent building.
  • Never use portable fuel-burning camping equipment inside of your home, garage vehicle or tent unless it states it is specifically designed for use in an enclosed space and includes instructions for safe use in an enclosed space.
  • Never burn charcoal inside of your home, garage, vehicle or tent.
  • Do not cover the bottom of natural gas or propane ovens with aluminum foil. The combustion air flow through the oven can become blocked and produce CO.
  • Make sure your home is protected with carbon monoxide detectors. There is should be one detector installed in the hall outside each bedroom area in the home.

For more information on the dangers of carbon monoxide or to learn the symptoms of CO poisoning, please visit the US Consumer Product Safety Commission website.