Five Simple Steps to Keep Burglars Out
- Secure all doors and windows. Keep all doors and windows closed and locked.Use dead bolts for regular doors, especially the one connected to the garage. Don’t rely on an automatic garage door opener to get into your house. For sliding glass doors, place a piece of plywood on the track to prevent access.
- Decrease valuable visibility. Don’t keep valuable possessions in places where they can be seen from outside of your house. This only attracts burglars to your home.
- Light up your house. Use exterior lighting and motion sensors to light up your house at night. The extra lighting will make it more difficult for burglars to intrude without being seen.
- Clear all entrances. Keep all shrubs and plants trimmed away from entrances. Although they may be pretty, they serve as a hiding place for burglars.
- Use your alarm. Make sure your alarm system is properly installed and programmed. Also, make sure the security system warning sign is visible. Studies show burglars are less likely to break into a home with a security system.
With the summer months, comes an increase in burglaries. Implementing a few extra security measures before you leave for vacation could prevent your home from being targeted.
- Stop the mail and paper. Nothing screams you’re gone like a pile of mail and newspapers outside of your house. Have the mail and paper stopped while you are gone so burglars don’t know you’re out of town.
- Let there be light. Darkness on the inside suggests a house is empty. Use timers to light parts of your house while you are gone to give the appearance that someone is there.
- Notify the neighbors. Letting your neighbors know when you will be gone will give your house extra protection and allow them to report anything suspicious.
- Tell the Police. Many police departments will provide periodical checks on your home if you let them know you're going out of town. Contact your local police department to find out if they offer this service.
Have questions about securing your home or interested in one of our security services? Call ADS Customer Care at 1.866.837.8110 or click the Contact ADS button below.