It’s summertime and the livin’ is easy and breezy, especially if you escape the summer heat at the pool. There are certain must haves to pack in your pool bag to ensure a relaxing, and sun safe, outing. Today I’m sharing ten summer essentials to pack for your next trip to the pool.
1. Sunscreen - The American Academy of Dermatology recommends everyone use water-resistant sunscreen with broad-spectrum protection (protects against UVA and UVB rays), and SPF of 30 or higher. I like to pack separate sunscreen specifically made for the face, as well as lip balm with SPF protection. Be sure to reapply every two hours.
2. Sunglasses - Whether you like old school preppy sunglasses or fashionista approved shades, sunglasses not only are great poolside accessories, but protect your eyes from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. The National Eye Institute recommends wearing sunglasses that block out 99 to 100% of both UVA and UVB radiation.
3. Hats - A fashionable wide-brimmed sunhat or a sporty baseball or trucker’s cap help protect your scalp and hair from sun damage as well as provide additional sun protection for your face. If you have ever experienced a painful sunburn where you part your hair, you’ll never forget to toss a hat in your pool bag again!
4. Hydration - Even though splashing around in a pool can cool you down, you still need to stay hydrated. Pack plenty of bottled water and avoid sugary sodas or overindulging in poolside cocktails.
5. Entertainment - Pack a few fun items for the kids, like diving sticks or a frisbee, and include a magazine or beach read for you. Even big kids love to toss a football in the water and a lightweight pool noodle is fun for kids of all ages. A portable Bluetooth speaker, preferably one that is waterproof, is also a fun addition at a pool party or gathering where it’s ok to blast your favorite summer break tunes without being obnoxious.
6. Cover Up - You never know when you’ll need to run back to your car or walk to the snack bar, which can be quite often when you have kids. A lightweight pool cover up is the perfect way to look stylish poolside.
7. Plastic Bags - I always toss a few sealable plastic bags into my pool bag for phones, loose change, or wet bathing suits.
8. Healthy Snacks - Being by the water always makes my kids hungry. Pack fruit in a cooler (frozen grapes make a great snack) and include snacks such as peanut butter crackers, pretzels or frozen yogurt tubes. It’s tempting for kids to load up on sugary treats at the concession stand, but being out in the heat is draining and the post-sugar crash makes it only worse.
9. Extra Towels - I don’t know about your family, but we never have enough beach towels. Throw in a few extra towels in case one gets super soaked by an epic cannon ball into the deep end.
10. Hair Essentials - Pack a wide-tooth comb and detangler in a spray bottle, especially if your crew has longer locks. Being a mom to two girls, I also pack plenty of ponytail holders.
Is there anything I am missing? What would you include in your pool bag essentials?