It's time to ring in the New Year! Many of us, myself included, make resolutions for what we hope to do, become and get better at in the coming year. This year, I'm switching things up. Instead of making the same resolutions again and forgetting about them sometime mid-February, I'm making a resolution to be safe and improve the quality of my life. Here are some safety standards that you also might consider committing to in 2016:
Start with online safety
- Change your passwords; make them long and strong by combining lowercase and uppercase letters with numbers and symbols. Use unique passwords for each account.
- Think before you share personal information on social sites.
- Set privacy and security settings on websites to limit the sharing of your information.
- Check to make sure that a website is SSL-encrypted before shopping or banking online by looking for the small lock icon near the address bar.
- Leave a few minutes early, so you aren’t rushed.
- Do not drink and drive. Choose a safe method of transportation like Uber or Lyft.
- Focus on driving. Put the electronic devices away. Even eating is distracted driving. Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road.
- Stay within the speed limit while driving. Driving 10 miles per hour more across town may save you a few minutes, but more importantly it can increase your accident risk by fifty percent.
- Schedule deliveries while you are home or arrange for them to be delivered to your office.
- Keep bushes and trees trimmed away from windows, this will prevent thieves from using them as a cover to enter your home.
- Do not hide house or car keys in mailboxes, planters or under door mats. Consider using a deadbolt with a keypad. This will eliminate the need for extra keys.
- Make sure your home looks occupied. Close and lock all doors. Install outdoor lighting and place them on timers. Use home automation to vary the schedule of indoor lighting.
What are your 2016 safety resolutions? Please share them in the comments below. Have a safe and prosperous New Year!