A close call happened in
my family’s laundry room recently. I want to share my experience so this
doesn’t happen to you.
One evening, my wife and
I were about to leave for dinner. Before we left, she entered our laundry room
and walked into a blanket of extremely hot air. She immediately called out for
help as her eyeglasses fogged up to the point where she could not see.
I entered the room,
turned off the dryer and opened up the doors for ventilation. Upon further
inspection, I discovered that our dryer vent hose was clogged with lint,
causing a hole to burst in the ventilation hose. This allowed a lot of hot air
to accumulate in our small laundry room. If this issue had gone unnoticed, it
could have quickly started a fire.
So, we pulled the dryer
away from the wall and cleaned the ventilation hose. Then, we ran all new hose to make sure we didn’t have
any remaining lint build up. Finally, we sat down to outline a plan so this
would not happen again. Here is what we decided:
- We added a note on the
dryer to remind everyone to clean the lint catcher regularly.
- We added a reminder to
our family calendar to clean the vent pipe once a year (It’s important to note
that you may need your vent cleaned more often depending on how frequently you
- We installed a fire
extinguisher close to the laundry room as a precaution.
- We added both heat and
smoke detectors to our laundry room.
Since the incident, I’ve
done quite a bit of research on dryer safety. Here are a couple of videos that
I want to share so you can avoid this same dangerous scenario.
This first video outlines
how to clean your dryer vent:
How to Clean Your Dryer Vent and Other Quick Tips
This second video
demonstrates the seriousness of dryer fires, how common they are, and how it
only takes a few minutes for dryer lint to catch fire:
Preventing dryer fires: Experts say keeping
your lint trap clean is just part of the
As a member of the ADS
Security team, I highly encourage all homeowners to have a working Monitored Smoke Alarm in your laundry room, hallways, and in each bedroom of
your home. If we had been asleep or had gone out to dinner like we planned, our
home could have caught fire quickly. Take it from me–I saw firsthand what
tragedy could have happened!
Have you had a fire related incident with your
dryer? Please share your story below and what you have done to help prevent it
from happening again.