These burglary statistics will give you insight on the scope of burglaries in the United States.
1. A burglary happens in the U.S. every 15 seconds.
2. In 2016, victims of burglary lost an estimated total of $3.6 billion dollars. That is an approximate loss of $2,361 per burglary victim.
3. The master bedroom is the first room targeted by burglars. Try putting your valuable in a different room.
4. Burglaries are most likely to occur between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. This is when most people are at work and school.
5. Homes without security systems are 3x more likely to be broken into. Think about investing in a home security system - they work as advertised and as a deterrent.
6. The average burglar spends 8-12 minutes in a home.
7. The average burglar lives within 2 miles of the victim. Start a neighborhood watch to get to know your neighbors better and look out for each other.
8. The most common entry point for a burglar is the front door. Next time you leave the house, double check the door is locked.
9. Cash, electronics, jewelry, and guns are the most commonly stolen items.
10. 6 of the 10 cities with the highest burglary rate in the U.S. are in the Southeast.
Our hope is that you'll never become a burglary statistic. Take the necessary precautions to protect your home and valuables.
References: FBI Uniform Crime Report | SafeResidence.com | ASecureLife